Details :

Govt to study Chandigarh model for slum rehabilitation, project to start in 6 months

20 Aug 2015, Hindustan Times (Delhi)

Faizan Haidar faizan.haider@hindustantimes.com

We have been told that they have done in-situ rehabilitation. The present government wants to rehabilitate the slum dwellers on the nearest vacant space. We will study the Chandigarh model and will follow that in our pilot project.

DUSIB OFFICIAL We have identified land owning agencies and are coordinating with them. The developer will have to build flats on 60% of the space and the remaining 40%, the developer can use for commercial purposes to recover the cost. 

NEW DELHI: With an aim to start the rehabilitation of slum dwellers within six months, the AAP government has identified four clusters where the plan will be implemented as a pilot project. 

After clearing the land, the government will hand it over to a developer, which will be allowed to use 40% of it for commercial purposes. 

As per the government plan, people from these slums will be rehabilitated within 4-5 km and the responsibility to clear the land will be entrusted upon the Delhi Urban Shelter Improvement Board (DUSIB). DUSIB officials are also visiting Chandigarh to study slum rehabilitation there. 

“We have been told that they have done in-situ rehabilitation. The present government wants to rehabilitate the slum dwellers on the nearest vacant space. We will study the Chandigarh model and will follow that in our pilot project,” said a DUSIB official. 

The four slum clusters, which have been identified for pilot projects are Sultanpuri, Tagore Garden, Jahangirpuri and Raghubir Nagar. The government said once the land is cleared, private developers will have no hesitation in taking up the project. 

“We have identified different land owning agencies and are coordinating with them. The private developer will have to build flats on 60% of the space and the remaining 40%, the developer can use for commercial purposes to recover the cost,” the official said. 

As per DUSIB’s plan, about 500 acre of encroached land can be used for development but if Delhi government decided to go with only Delhi government’s land, they will have to prepare the action plan again. 

“The reason why previous attempts failed is slum dwellers are asked to shift far away from their existing location. Now the government has ordered a survey, where land should be identified in 70 assembly constituencies and the residents should be rehabilitated in the same constituency. This will delay the process but we will have to do that since the government has asked us not to shift slum dwellers in outer Delhi, where 57,000 flats are ready,” the official said. 


Source: Hindustan Times